Thursday, February 03, 2005

Poll - Old Wives Tales

As you can see from the side bar opposite I have added a poll to my blog. Let me explain a little about the question. Over the past few weeks we I have noticed a massive amount of superstition and what I like to term 'Old Wives Tales' surrounding pregnancy. I first came across it when we found out Diane was pregnant. I was so chuffed that I immediately went round telling everyone (she was barely 5 weeks at the time). People were happy for us of course but some people stared at us in horror when they found out she was only 5 weeks. On further investigation I found out that it was considered 'Bad Luck' to tell everyone before 14 weeks.

Bad Luck, BAD LUCK? Are people fucking crazy?!? The best news I have had for years and people want me to keep it to myself? Yeah Right.

I latter found out that 1 in 5 pregnancies miscarry before the 12 week point. This in its self would be a reason to not tell people, but to call it bad luck? Well that’s just madness.

Anyway over the past few weeks I've been hearing more and more of this crap, everything from the timing of the nursery to when to bring a pram into the house. As you may have gathered I think its all bollocks, but what do you think? Vote in the poll, drop me a comment or write me an email I don't mind I'm off to the pub, then I'm getting read to go to Skye.

I will speak to you all when I get back.

Have a great weekend!

Tim

**** Update about my thoughts on when you should tell people you are having a baby ****

I've been thinking about it tonight and this occurred to me:
If you are pregnant, you tell people before 14 weeks and then you miscarry everyone knows about it.
However, if you are pregnant and you don't tell anybody because you are waiting till the 14 week point. If you miscarry, no one knows you are pregnant in the first place and would not know you have miscarried.
Therefore the anecdotal evidence will point to the 'Bad Luck' by the very fact they new you were pregnant in the first place.

If you get what I mean...




6 comments:

Sasha@Pw said...

Of course there's superstition with pregnancy! It's all in fun, but some people take it very seriously especially in certain cultures.

We waited to tell everyone that we were pregnant until i think about 10 or 12 weeks. It was tough waiting.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jackson,

I am sure you are flushed with happiness at the thought of your impending partenthood. I can only wish you all the best, as you don't believe in luck! However, my wishes are with you.

As an expectent and undoubtably proud father to be, I have no doubt that you will at some point want to show your child this Blog.

But what will your childs reaction be when he sees the following:

"No – But then I still believe the earth is flat, the moon is made from cheese and Santa is real."

Speaking personally, I am over Santa. It is years since he delivered anything of any use to me, and, lets face it, the Argos catologue should have put him out of business years ago. How he still maintains his ludicrous delivery schedule in these days of Amazon and e-bay is quite beyond my comprehension. Does anyone know Santas rating on e-bay?
But I digress. I cannot believe that you have shattered my illusions about the moon so comprehensively. Whilst I am not about to believe that the US put a man on the moon, quite clearly Wallace did so. And he took his dog. The moon was made of cheese, wasn't it?. Please dont tell me otherwise. Next thing you'll be telling me that tellytubbies don't live under windfarms.

Matthew said...

Hey there!

My dear wife is also pregnant. I did the same thing as you, tell everybody right when we found out. I've found that we get a whole lot of advice from people and a whole lot of old wives' tales like you said. My wife is due on May 20, when are you guys due?

God Bless,

Anonymous said...

I don't buy this "bad luck to tell before 14 weeks stuff!" You are excited, you tell who you want to tell! If something bad did happen (god forbid) then surely it is good that you have told people you are closest to, you would get some support and understanding. That's my theory anyway and it's the way I dealt with it. Hope it all goes well for you both (you three!) and you have a happy, healthy pregnancy and a lovely little bundle of joy at the end of it :-) Congratulations

Amanda said...

We told everybody that I was preggy when I was only about 5 weeks, and we got the same horrified looks and reactions form people. Apparently, it's bad luck, but, if we didn't tell people, and had a miscarriage, everybody would wonder why we were so sad. Now, I'm seven weeks til due, and it doesn't seem to matter anymore. Good luck! And, yes, her morning sickness will go away, about 2 more months I'd say. Then come the heartburn:)

Kat said...

Ha! You think the old wives' tales are bad. Wait 'til strangers start rubbing your wife's belly. And wait 'til you have the baby and you're inundated with a whole new set of old wives' tales, strangers poking their heads into the baby's pram and people kissing the poor baby on the face when it's obvious they are full of germs.